Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rear Wiper Arm

The rear wiper arm is either a work of art or the creation of a mad man depending on how you view it. There's no doubt it's over complicated and prone to fatigue given the stress on the shoulder.

Mine eventually went snap after 16 years and so I bent over and took it from Porsche to the tune of £140 for a new one....

Here's where it snapped (where they all snap eventually)

Removal and refitting is pretty straight forward.

After removing the cap over the retaining bolt, a 13mm socket will undo the (slightly rusted on my car) nut.

This will then allow you to prise off the small rubber surround to reveal the larger nut holding the arm in place against the motor.

I used an adjustable wrench on this one, so no idea what size it is.
Once this is undone, the assembly can be removed from the motor arm. This wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be and took significant upward pressure. I had to be careful not to lever it out against the glass for fear of cracking it. Fortunately there is a groove on one side that allowed me to get one side of some needle nosed pliers in, and I was able to pop the assembly out of the screen. This will make more sense if you ever do this job...

So you're left with this (above) - an opportunity to clean and grease more stuff.

Reassembly is (obviously) the reverse and took no time at all. The wiper now sits in a more appropriate place - much further towards the edge of the rear screen. Not sure if that's because the design has changed slightly, or whether over time, the arm flexes in such a way as to allow the wiper arm to sit further in towards the middle of the screen.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013


I had a chips away man come to repair a small scuff on the rear bumper (thanks to whoever it was in Waitrose car park that left me this gift....)

He was a real pro - the job is excellent...

For those that have ever wondered what goes into L744 Paint (I bet there aren't many out there who have...)

Whod've thought it....

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Foam Sound Insulation

The car has foam pading underneath the mats in the front footwells. It's a dense foam that holds an extraordinary amount of water when they get wet. It's always important to check underneath the foam - not just the mats - for signs of water ingress.

My car had suffered from a water leak earlier in its life which had been traced to a line of factory sealant that was allowing a small amount of rain water through and down into the footwell.

I had the whole thing repaired and the floor bolts rust treasted etc.
However, I didn't buy new new foam. The existing was allowed to dry and then replaced, however I was never particularly happy with it. It was flatter than it should've been.

Eventually got round to buying a new piece to fit and took the old one out. Very easy job.

The floor pan is interesting to inspect. Again, the sealant looks to have been applied liberally and haphazardly..

The new foam part has a 964 part number, so I expect this part of the floor pan is identical to the 964. It has ribs and grooves that allow it to fit snugly into the foot well.

The foam has to be slid in underneath the carpet ends. It's a tight fit and the foam rises fairly high up the footwell - almost touching the bottom of the dash.

I used a 3M impact adhesive to glue the carpet to the top of the foam - which has a smooth, rubberized surface.

The overcarpet fits on top - secured by metal brackets. Then the Porsche overmat on top.
Although it's an easy job, I'll be very pissed off if I have to do it again. I hate a wet car.

Unrelated to the foam, but just for the sake of it, this is how I get two (young) kids in the back of the 993 with boosters.

And finally, after I did the foam, I spent a bit of time with the polish. Got a nice reflection of the houses in a very flat light...